Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When do you apply wood chips?

Options
Larrymac
Larrymac Posts: 103
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
So obviously new at this-- but if I wanted a quick meal like burgers or steaks and wanted some smoke flavor I would not use lump wood but instead woods chips. At what stage of the process do I apply the chips and then how long before its ready to put the food over the fire ?

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    You would still use lump charcoal as normal, but just sprinkle the chips on right before you start grilling the steak.  I believe the lump charcoal gives plenty of smoke for a burger/steak anyway so I never use them.   
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    When a quick cook like steaks or burgers....I get the fire going nice and hot, wait for all the VOC's(nasty smoke from the lump) to burn off, and throw a handful of chips on the hot coals right before I put my food on. I'll usually let the chips burn for a few minutes before putting my food on.

You can always mix a bunch of chips right in with your charcoal pile before lighting it too.
  • Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You would still use lump charcoal as normal, but just sprinkle the chips on right before you start grilling the steak.  I believe the lump charcoal gives plenty of smoke for a burger/steak anyway so I never use them.   
    Sorry I meant I wasn't going to use like lump fruitwood for a quick fire-- definitely planned still to use lump charcoal