Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza sourdough

paulheelspaulheels Posts: 457
I have my own sourdough. Anyone got a good pizza dough recipe. I make norwich SD right now. Just need the progression of the dough for pizza after autolyse. Thanks Paul
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
·

Comments

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 818
    This is the pizza dough that I make, it works well for both thin crust and thicker crust pie.

Gerhard

·
  • I tried this recipe and it came out very wet.  Not sure where I went wrong, but I just ended up add quite a bit more flour.  Gerhard - Is your version pretty wet?
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 818
    edited January 2013
    It depends on your flour, some flours will take more water.  I use a hard bread flour from a local mill and find all purpose flour from the grocery store not to take as much water.   If it comes out wetter than I want I give it a 10 minute rest then do a stretch and fold, repeat it a couple of times a 15 minute intervals then portion it and put it in the fridge for the next day.  I never add flour to the mixer as the stretch and fold seems to make it so I can handle the dough.  I don't like the dough to be too dry because I find it difficult to get a dry dough thin without tearing it.  Another thought, how hydrated is your starter.  Mine is a heaping cup of flour to a cup of water, I know not scientific.  I find this starter needs less attention and can be ignore in the fridge 7 to 10 days.

Gerhard

P.S. here is a link to Arva Flour Mill  http://www.arvaflourmill.com
    ·
  • Thanks for the reply.  I've been using King Arthur flour and I'm not sure where that falls on the hardness scale.  Maybe my starter is a bit more hydrated, but I was still surprised at the amount of extra flour I had to add.  I'll have to check my starter compared to your reference.

Great website, also!

·
  • My standard recipe using a starter is 70% hydration, 2.5% salt and 8% starter.  Pizzamaking.com has a great tool that will give you weight measurements based on the amount of dough you want to make.  I usually make 2 310g balls and for that it would be 335g flour, 227g water, 9g salt and 50g starter.  After the autolyse, I add the starter and salt then place in a clear tall container.  Every 30 minutes I do 3-4 folds ala Tartine until my hands come clear of dough, usually 3-4 hours.  I then make up the 2 balls and place in lightly oiled glass containers, then into the fridge for 3-4 days.  Bring up to room temp and cook off as desired :)

Mark

·
  • Damn I'd love some of that starter!!
    ·
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 645
    edited February 2013
    google ischia or camaldoli.   There is good info out there and imho those are great places to start a good culture from
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·