Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Freezer Burn Brisket?

So I was at HEB yesterday and I wanted to get a brisket but nothing was on sale. I noticed that there was a brisket that passed the 'Sell By' date by 1 day so I asked the butcher what they did with the brisket. She thought she had already chunked all of the expired briskets so I showed her this one. She couldn't sell me this one but there was another one where the back was torn somewhere (couldn't find it) and so it had lost the vacuum in the packaging (didn't expire for another 10days). She told me that she could sell me that one very cheap and that it was still good to eat. I went ahead and bought it because it was about $30 off. There was some freezer burn on the edges which I cut off. I trimmed the rest of it and plan to smoke it starting tonight. Is this a good idea cooking this brisket or am I risking sickness or bad flavor?
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,968
    I think that you could only risk bad flavor. Botulism is probably out the window, since it was exposed to oxygen. It will be well over any temp necessary to kill Clostridium Botulinum and other bacteria for the time necessary(121 for 30 minutes). Unless it smells funky now(spoiled) I only think you risk getting some freezer-burnt flavors at worst. I doubt that the store would have offered it to you if it wasn't. Talk about a recipe for an out of court settlement.
    ·
  • BU_BBQBU_BBQ Posts: 14
    If I had to guess by the sell-by date, the brisket was just put out yesterday, but they missed that it had lost it's seal when it was put out. However, smells fine, looks fine. If don't post pictures of the cook, everyone can assume the worst.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,968
    Vaya con dios, amigo
    ·