Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spare rib leftovers...what to do?

So I am going to pick up some spares for next weekend and I started wondering. What do you do with the extra meat still attached to the sternum when you cut them st. Louise style? Chunk it or cook it somehow?
·

Comments

• I am wondering what people do to.  I have seen making rib tips, pork broth, pork to put in beans.  Guess I need more practice.  I can make good St. Louis Style ribs, but feel like I am wasting the trimmings
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,263
    I freeze it and after I have like 3 or 4 saved I chop the meat and through in a pot of chilli. Don't feel like I'm wasting things and I get chilli win win situation.
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 817
    We had ribs on Saturday night and kept half a rack and used the meat to make pizza on Sunday.  It makes for nice pizza topping.

Gerhard

·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,453
    I am wondering what people do to.  I have seen making rib tips, pork broth, pork to put in beans.  Guess I need more practice.  I can make good St. Louis Style ribs, but feel like I am wasting the trimmings
    I do those 3 things. The section w. the big hunk of bone gets saved till I have enough to make stock. The bits of flap meat get cooked along side the spares, but just for a few hours. Those go into beans, re-fried rice, etc. The remaining tips get cooked for another dinner. Usually cook quicker than the St. Louis section, but are equally tasty.
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,348
    I throw it on the grill and cook with ribs. It is done much faster and serves as an appetizer for the cook.
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    Cook's choice!  Trim as much of the fat and membrane as you can and throw it on with the ribs.  It will cook in half the time as the slab.  When the smoke and sizzle have you salivating, eat the trimmings... then you won't rush the ribs.     :)

Many also like rib tips in chili.  (Mine never make it that far.)
    ·
  • tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    BBQ spaghetti.  Season the trimmings with some Italian spices and smoke with the ribs.  When done, chop them up and mix with spaghetti sauce.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Wow. All great ideas. Thanks.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,352
    One more suggestion- make ABT's with the rib meat.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·