Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Substitute dijon mustard for yellow?

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I was about to prep some boneless beef chuck short ribs (first attempt at them).  I was going to do them about the same way I do ribs (hour or so indirect at 300-350F, 1.5 hours boated with a beer).  I grabbed the French's classic yellow and it was nearly empty.  I remembered buying it as a pair (bogo) and thought I had another in the pantry, but realize now, I must have already used up the other.  So...all I have is a few drops of yellow mustard and a nearly full 10oz squeeze bottle of Grey Poupon dijon. 

Does dijon work with BBQ...or am I better off waiting til I've been to the store and get more yellow?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    sure. Or don't use any at all if you are nervous. Mustard will not impart any flavor on a low and slow cook (assuming you do them this way). If you normally taste the mustard in your recipe, dijon will make it even better
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • njl
    Options
    I guess I normally just use is as a binder for the dry rub and I figure the vinegar does some marinating if its prepped long enough in advance?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You will be fine. The poupon will add a noticeable tang. I like whole grain as a flavouring.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    if it's just a binder, yellow or dijon makes no diff
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Nah, You put something with flavour on you gonna get flavour out. I don't use yellow mustard as a binder anymore cause I can taste it in the product. Not trying to fight here A-Hole

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I use Dijon all the time
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nah, You put something with flavour on you gonna get flavour out. I don't use yellow mustard as a binder anymore cause I can taste it in the product. Not trying to fight here A-Hole

do not taunt sober Centex: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138684/the-great-mustard-debate/p1
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Saturday night, 10, no sorry 9:00 pm and you are sober? Something bad is afoot here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Saturday night, 10, no sorry 9:00 pm and you are sober? Something bad is afoot here
    Sadly yes. Not particularly happy about it but I earned some time off through very poor behavior over the holidays :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You mean like a time out? Sadly I have been there. However this fine evening I find myself home alone, well except for my sister, and it is a thing of beauty. No rules.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You mean like a time out? Sadly I have been there. However this fine evening I find myself home alone, well except for my sister, and it is a thing of beauty. No rules.
    Nice. No it's self imposed. i do it a couple times a year when I find it takes me 8 drinks and an elephant tranquilizer to START to catch a buzz. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Salute sir!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Salute sir!
    I guess.... :-S
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Now this thread is about too much information-apologize for the hijack-back to the topic -if you use mustard as a binder then with a more flavorful (American spell check:)) mustard then you may pick up some with the shorter cook-just give it a go and then you will have the data base to enlighten the rest of us.  It will taste great regardless-enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Don't know about beef short ribs, but for butt, I use mustard as a "binder" (God that sounds disgusting)
    I use whatever expired mustard SWMBO has left over in the fridge - last week's butt had three different kinds ranging from chipotle, to key lime mustards. I can't taste anything different from the French's yellow. I think my pork rub overpowers everything. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Salute sir!

Soon, I have to try and make my way upstairs to bed. Not good. Where the hell is NOLA? He has no life...why is he not here dammit

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    He has a life????
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Skipper, I said he has no life :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• njl
    Options
    Prepped them with a light coating of the dijon with a bit of worcestershire mixed in and then a nice sprinkling of my dry rub.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Salute sir!

Soon, I have to try and make my way upstairs to bed. Not good. Where the hell is NOLA? He has no life...why is he not here dammit
    I've been ball-n-chained to a bunch of honey-do projects.  Got even more tomorrow.  Filled my allotment of a dozen non-sequitur and otherwise inappropriate posts for the day.  Getting an early start on Sunday.  Almost out of bourbon, I suppose that means almost time for bed. :D
    Options
    Forget the mustard question. Isn't boneless rib an oxymoron?  Don't ya have to have a bone to be a rib? It's like hamburger steak, convertible hardtop, military intelligence.....
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options

You are alone with your sister and that is a beautiful thing? What area you from? To each his own I guess.
  • njl
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Forget the mustard question. Isn't boneless rib an oxymoron?  Don't ya have to have a bone to be a rib? It's like hamburger steak, convertible hardtop, military intelligence.....
    Well...its what they call them.  Next question though is, since there is no bone, will I need to take any special precautions when I foil or boat them?  I usually boat ribs...and the bones keep most of the meat out of contact with the aluminum baking pan.  Some of the meat that does touch will sometimes stick and is lost when I remove the ribs from the boat.  Since these have no bones, they'll be in full contact with either foil (if I just foil them) or the pan (if I boat them).  Should I just foil them in one big "package".  It's only 3.2 lbs. of "boneless ribs".
  • Little Steven
    Options
    IrishDevl said:
    You are alone with your sister and that is a beautiful thing? What area you from? To each his own I guess.

Sorry Devil,

My sister is 51 and has Down syndrome. She also suffers from Crohn's disease. She lives with us so that is about as alone as I ever get.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• IrishDevl
    Options

IrishDevl said:

Sorry Devil,

My sister is 51 and has Down syndrome. She also suffers from Crohn's disease. She lives with us so that is about as alone as I ever get.

Oops, feel like a schmuck. My bad, sorry brother.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Dijon + Mangrate = Cant miss!

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Little Steven
    Options
    IrishDevl said:
    IrishDevl said:

Sorry Devil,

Oops, feel like a schmuck. My bad, sorry brother.
    No no no! I didn't mean that. Just wanted to clarify what I was saying. It's all good man.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• njl
    Options
    Cook is done.  Interesting cut of beef.  Cooked, it looked and tasted pretty much as I imagine a brisket flat would if you sliced it up before cooking and instead of a fat layer it had a bit of fat in the grain of the meat.

It wasn't bad...but my wife reminded me, she doesn't like brisket BBQ'd.
  • lousubcap
    Options
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Don't know what you mean there.