Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clocking the TelTru

Options
Blackrazornz
Blackrazornz Posts: 14
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum

Quite often, when I fire the BGE up with the vents wide open and the lid down to get a nice hot sear on for some steaks, the TelTru thermometer in the lid will climb right past the end of the temperature gauge and start nudging past zero again.

Is this likely to damage the thermometer? If so I'll need to keep a much closer eye on it while lighting it for steak cooks or fajitas etc.

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Just keep in mind you are simply cooking meat...not blowing glass.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    it can damage the springs in it an throw off calibration.  i took the clip off mine like a week after i got it and never put it back on.  honestly i don't go over 500 except for the rare pizza sometimes at the end of a load of lump i pull the thermo and open the vents let it burn off grease and the little lump left.  i don't do pizza much only 2 times in the last 8 months though.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I can tell you from experience, after doing a clean burn, You can damage the thermometer.  Mine stayed stuck.  Never worked right after that and had to buy a new one.  Now I pull it out when I do a clean burn.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I never get mine that high.  500 is plenty high for a sear and for pizza, I just don't agree that you need to have a temp of 700 for pizza or sear.