Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked Some Cheese

Did my first cold smoke with some cheddar and pepperjack.  I had never done anything like this, so thought I'd share some pictures.  I am going to try this on Salmon next.

The original idea on how to create the smoke came from here...

I took a soup can, drilled a few holes along the bottom sides, filled with Apple chips, lit one charcoal brickette and put it in the bottom of the BGE.  Cheese went on the grid for about an hour.  This setup produces smoke for about an hour.  If I wanted to go longer, I'd just throw a second can in there after the first one burned up.

Taste came out very good, although just a bit harsh, which will be remedied by letting the cheese age for about a week.

Here is a picture of the can...

And here are a couple of pics of the BGE smoking.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    thanks i needed to be reminded that it is cheese smoking season.. maybe this weekend. i never tried the can trick. and i always used more charcoal i guess i need to find someone using bricketts. but looks pretty smokey!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Yeah, the third picture probably exaggerates things a bit, as it was just as I was opening the lid.  LOL