Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Large Cast Iron Grill or Small + Spider

Wife got me the large BGE cast iron grill for Xmas (awesome!) but is giving me the choice to go small + spider or keep this one.

What would everyone here recommend?

Large BGE

·

Comments

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    edited December 2012
    Personally, I'd get rid of the CI grid.  All it does is put sear marks on your steak.  After two times, it isn't worth the trouble of changing it out.

The spider will not only raise your grid, but will also be the saddle for a wok if you decide to do some stir frying (which I highly recommend).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,428
    Small and spider.
    ·
  • If you're in an "either/or" situation, IMO go with the spider and small CI grate.  The reason being the spider is versitle and can be used for more than just searing.  However, if you need a lot of space to sear meat for a lot of people, you may want to go with the large CI grate. 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·