Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another maverick question

Options
I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with the maverick 732 in cold weather as far as the severe cold damaging the unit.  I am ready to pull the trigger on one, but performance in the cold is a huge consideration I must make living in the nontheast.  Also cold weather performance of the thermoworks thermocouple probe would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    My Maverick ET732 and Thermapen work fine  here in Lancaster, PA.  Our Winters aren't extremely cold but I don't see why you'd have a problem in colder weather.  It will be a lot warmer near the BGE while it is in use.  I store it inside the house.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    Wow. I live in Dallastown, York county. I know it doesn't get Canada cold, but it's not unusual to dip into single digits overnight. My concern was for an overnighter in the middle of January or February. I've been jizzed on several probe thermometers. The maverick seems to do well by this forum, but to amazon, the probes themselves seem legendarily crummy. Any either success or failure stories would be appreciated.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Since I got my Egg in August I have purchased the new ET-732. But for 7 years before that I used my first generation ET-73 throughout the Winter in air temps down to -5 degrees. 

The only two "issues" I had were the batteries last far less time in the cold weather which is to be expected. Also the units would occasionally lose synch with one another at temps of 20 degrees or below and I'd have to re-establish the synch. I don't expect that to be a problem with the new ET-732 since it also has a far greater range and has a synch alarm if the units lose their synch. Since the ET-732 is the new and improved version I am expecting smooth sailing. I used it Christmas Day with temps between 25 - 33 and it performed flawlessly.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I have been through a couple mavericks and have decided to go in another direction.  The electronics work wonderfully but I have never gotten more than a couple uses from the probes.  I've also found that even trying to calibrate them in boiling water can fry them .. and i mean literally holding the tip in the water.. the vapor fries the cable.  I suppose you could wrap that in foil but give me a break. 

I have been using more and more often the Party-Q to regulate temperature on long cooks and certainly overnighters.  I like that product a lot.  I also bought the thermopen for quick temperature checks.  
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have two 732s and don't wrap the cables.  A few months in, I had one cook where the probes on one of them seemed to be off.  I ordered a new set but haven't used them yet.  I gave the old probes another try and all the subsequent cooks worked fine.  Last night I used a 732 to watch my chicken cordon bleus and it was raining prettey good.  I covered the unit with a plastic bag but the probes were exposed the whole time - no issues.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI