Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Wicked Sparking

I got two bags of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior from my local Ace Hardware and am very disappointed. This charcoal sparks like a fireworks celebration. A stream of sparks flies up out of my chimney, burns out and settles in a shower of black dust. I've never experienced sparking of this intensity and duration before and it continues once the lit chimney is emptied into the egg which, with all the fireworks, is not an easy task. Now the sparks end up covering the grill in ash and food can only be added when the fire has been lit for a long enough time to end the pyrotechnics. Very disappointing for someone who thought Wicked was the good stuff. I'm hoping this is just a bad bag and the second one will be better.

Anyone else have this problem? 

• bjadamsbjadams Posts: 25
    Appears there is not much interest in this topic but just to follow up, the second back of Wicked Good showed none of the sparking that made the first bag so exciting to use. I can do without the excitement so I liked this one a lot better.
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 2,202
    Better late than never.  I have coordinated 2 and now my 3rd pallet order of WG.  Very pleased with the lump as well as the price ($16.10 per #22).  I have noticed some sparks fly when lighting using my MAPP but I think that is just the nature of the beast.  Put some goggles on and wear long sleeves.   Enjoy!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: and  and
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Wchapman74Wchapman74 Posts: 50
    I recently had the same problem, I just figured it was from the bacon blanket wrapped around the meatloaf I was cooking at the time.
    Thats the only time its happened for me.

• NewsguyNewsguy Posts: 26
    I liked Wicked Good lump when I bought my first bag, and I used for most of a year. The last six or so bags I used seemed to have far fewer of the big chunks that I liked and many more small chips and dust. Despite the elevated price, I went back to BGE lump.
  • I'm leaving the Wicked Good brand myself. 
    I use my egg almost everyday, and the last 4 bags have been crap. Not 1 piece larger than a silver dollar and mostly dust. I have 2 partial bags left and 1 bag of their new Jakes Blend, then I'm done.