Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help needed with Snow Crab Clusters

MillsyMillsy Posts: 104
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok guys and gals I need help cooking "Snow crab clusters".My local store has them on sale and i have never had them because i live in the lobster capital of the world and never see crab here.I am looking for any and all help with this Please.They are selling them frozen in one pound bags if that helps.

Comments

• Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    edited December 2012
    Just steam them for a couple of minutes to get them warm. They are already cooked so you just need to reheat them
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,142
    edited December 2012
    I roast mine in the oven -- more pics and description: http://necessaryindulgences.com/2012/10/crab-legs/

Crab Legs Crab Legs Crab Legs
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,351
    Sometimes we'll throw them in a boiling pot of crab boil - same stuff we use for crawfish except less salt.  Just for a couple of minutes (as above, they're already cooked - same story with King crab).

• I've put them on the Egg before to give them a slight smokey flavor.  I usually heat them alongside a steak I'm cooking.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MillsyMillsy Posts: 104
    Thanks guys and gals.Do the crack open like lobster?Any tips on eating them?
  • If you can eat the meat out of a lobster head you won't have any trouble with the crab legs.  They are a piece of cake!  Usually one dips the meat in a little butter just like lobster.  By the way.  If you want to swap some lobsters for some crab legs just let me know. 
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,465
    I do garlic crab. Mix garlic, shallots, butter, olive oil, lemon juice and a teaspoon of sugar in a large roasting pan. Bake on egg at 325 for about 15 to 20 until warm. They get better the longer they sit in the garlic.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    Tip for crab - while they're frozen, you can take a cleaver and cut strategic parts of the shell so they're easier to eat/shell.  I actually ruined a nice Wustof Chinese Knife doing this on Alaskan King Crab.  Lesson learned - use a cleaver.  I worked in a seafood restaurant and we did this to all our crab - makes it very easy to eat.

We steamed it.  It's hard to over-steam.

• jbates67jbates67 Posts: 160
    Just be sure they're not already cooked, many frozen crab legs are pre-cooked. 
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,471

jbates67 said:
    Just be sure they're not already cooked, many frozen crab legs are pre-cooked. 
    I'm pretty sure all frozen crab legs are pre-cooked.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    You can buy frozen raw whole blue crab (gumbo crabs - they're small), but I've never seen frozen raw other than that.

• MillsyMillsy Posts: 104
    Thank you.I am really looking forward to them.