Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Clay Q Chuck is On!

yumdinger
yumdinger Posts: 255
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
Been just over a year since I became an egghead.  Today marks my first attempt at shredded Beef.  Beef has been on since 8:30am central.  Looking forward to the outcome.  
I do have one question though.  I may not be able to be around for the final hour of the cook, the last step of Clay Q's recipe.  Think it would be a problem to refrigerated the Pulled Beef and juice until I return to finish it?  I will be finishing in a LeCreuset vs bare cast iron.
Using Wicked good Charcoal for this cook as well.  First time user, Seemed to be a very clean product coming out of the bag,not very much dust or small stuff at all.  The bag was shipped to my local Ace Dealer as well so it has some miles on it.  It has a different smell than Royal Oak, the lump was definitely more dense as it was very heavy compared to RO as well.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Wish I could help with the Clay Q question-I do pulled beef periodically (not his recipe-too lazy) but if it is a question about pull vs  fridge and pull, I would pull before the fridge. 

WRT the WGWW-I use it for all low&slows and find it more "smoke neutral" than any lump I have used including RO.  Takes a while to get going but very dense as you note and leaves little ash.  Good luck!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks took longer to get to 160 than expected.  WGWW going good.  Lit pretty easily with heat gun.  
  • I did 7 pounds of chuck last weekend with the Clay recipe.  It took a full 9-hour cook with the fire going out at one point.  (WGWW was the lump, but the flame-out wasn't its fault.  I did have an attention issue at one point.)

I had some difficulties keeping the temp down throughout the cook.  Times tended to be shorter than expected, but overall time of prep was about on-par.

Regardless, the final product was an enthusiastic thumbs-up from the entire family!

• Turned out fantastic! No sauce necessary. As you can see by the photo I had a great smoke ring. I skipped the hour long finish.