Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Question regarding maverick thermometer temp...

Which temp do you guys usually go by for cooking? Dome or grill temp? Directions say to cook my turkey at 350, do most recipes mean dome temp? Another thing... How much difference should I normally see between the two? 50 degrees or so?
·

Comments

• In my experience it's usually about 30 or so.  But the longer the cook, the closer the two should get to being equal.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • Do you usually clip it to the grill or should I be clipping it to the dome thermo?
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Most refer to dome temp. The difference between the two will get less as the egg heats up it will eventually be pretty close. I normally see about a 25 degree difference on my XL between some and grid. Check that your dome thermometer is calibrated.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    Clip to the grill
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • I'm starting to think my dome therm needs calibrating.... They're around 100 degrees off from each other. Dome showing 340 and BBQ temp showing 430.
    ·
    Yep normally my dome is higher than my grate... I check all my thermometers, dome, maverick probes and thermopen in boiling water before any long cook.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • Dang. Well it was a free turkey so ill call it a test run.
    ·
    Will just be cooked quicker :-)
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,641
    I'm starting to think my dome therm needs calibrating.... They're around 100 degrees off from each other. Dome showing 340 and BBQ temp showing 430.
    Check your dome and Mav calibration with some boiling water.  That almost sounds like you have the grate probe unshielded from the lump.

·
    Good point Nola... Do you have a plate setter in?
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • Plate setter is on.

I just calibrated my dome therm and they are now within 10 degrees of each other. Thanks guys.
    ·