Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stones

MrDave
MrDave Posts: 13
I am searching for information on the BGE XML Pizza stone. I have not located very much discussion on the XL stone on this site. I have read that cooking pizza higher in the dome provides better results so that is my quest. I have contacted Ceramic Grills , however they do not have any experience with the XL stone other than it is too big and heavy, which I can agree with. I have included my question that I sent them to solicit this groups input. What is the largest and highest stone that I can use? Quoting Dave Asaibene : Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have the most current XL egg. Got it a few weeks ago (sans Plate setter). Recommendations on the web  is that I get the XL Woo2. and the 17.5 stone. I may want to, in the future get the adj rig, just not sure if I need that much cook space at this time. I realize that you have a package that includes everything. I like the idea of the big XL BGE Pizza stone and from the web feedback the higher in the dome you can put a pizza stone the better, I do not care for burnt or black bottom crusts. My concern is that since the XL stone is really big that I will run out of space (around the sides and for air circulation) as I raise it. Reason for the XL Stone is that I like to do several small pizzas rather than a large one. Also would like to do several loafs of bread at the same time. I have spent a lot of time on searching your website but cannot locate any conversation pro or con on the BGE XL stone. If I put the rig on the xlwoo2 on the fire ring, will the xl bge pizza stone fit at 5 inches above the felt line? Assume that they are in the cutouts on the fire ring. What kind of space will I have around the edges? My rough calculations indicate that at 5 inches above the felt the diameter is 20 inches and at 3 inches it is 23 inches. Thanks Dave On Dec 10, 2012, at 9:52 AM, sales@ceramicgrillstore.com wrote: Hi Dave, Assuming you have the most current xl egg, (see what fits my xl on our site), the xl adj. rig on the fire ring puts the stone approx. 3" above the felt line. With pizza I prefer to use the xlwoo and rig.  This puts the stone approx. 5 inches above the felt line. Quoting David J Asaibene : If I purchase the adj rig for my xl egg and place it on the fire ring, can I put the bge xl pizza stone on top and how far into the dome or how high above the felt line will it be? Also I assume that putting the xl pizza stone on the woo2 will have the stone just above the felt line. I am not using a bge plate setter (don't have one) Thanks Dave Asaibene

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I know @Sgt93 uses the XL pizza stone and the platesetter. He should be able to give you his take on the big stone. I have played with many levels for pizza on my large and like the stone just above the placesetter with a air gap between the two. Everyone has a different pizza setup and opinions on here so you have lots things to look at. It will all depend on which method of indirect you go with woo, or platesetter (i use the platesetter on my large but have a woo for my small BGE)  If you have multiple levels you can start the pizza on the lower tier on a stone and finish it up high in the dome. I have a swing rack from ceramic grill works and just started doing that and like it.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I use a BGE XL stone.  PS legs up, grid, Woo (turned upside down), and XL stone.  That's about as high as you can get that stone, and it works great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• We have the Lg pizza stone, because we don't have a peel that is big enough to carry a pizza bigger than the Lg stone (14").  We use the plate setter feet down, and place the stone on egg feet on top of the plate setter.  If you can handle transferring a larger pizza, then the XL stone would be great.  We use the Super Peel which I think is 14" but I heard they are working on a larger version.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I made a super peel that handles 16.5".  I just need to make the belt for it and try it out.
    Interesting. I had never thought of the size of the peel. I was only thinking of cooking individual pizzas or loafs of bread is probally why. However that is good information. Question to nolaegghead. I do not understand "make the belt" ?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Dave - This is a commercial product called the Super Peel.  http://www.superpeel.com/order.php

This is a similar project I recently worked on.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145966/mega-peel-project-for-unadulterated-dough-transportation/p1

• I'd highly recomend a plate setter when using a pizza stone. I Used to just put the stone high up in the dome without it, but it ran so hot from the direct infrared it was hard to cook a pizza without scorching it.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited December 2012

My pizza set-up in the XL is platesetter feet up with cooking grid holding pizza stone.  I like the larger XL stone as it can handle multiple items if you need.   Another option wpould be to add the 2 tier (BGE product for XL) to the cooking grid and put the stone on top of that getting your stone up another 5" above felt line and cook up in the dome.  I feel using the platesetter with the feet down subjects the gasket to extreme heat and has no real benefit of doing so. JMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Just pics

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• These 4 Fire bricks cost me $7.00.  I put the Plate Setter legs down or just an old pizza stone over the bricks.  Let it heat up for 45 minutes @ 500 to get everything stable.  I cook most pies at 500-550 from 6 - 12 minutes depending on how many toppings and crust thickness.  Have not burned any bottoms yet.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • MrDave
    Doc. What is the Hw I see in pic 2 called pull the parchment? Looks like it is a woo with 24 inch grate and 24 inch stone? What is under the grate?
  • PS, grid, Woo upside down, and stone.

• MrDave
    Thanks for the arrangement. Just before Xmas I ordered the XL Woo2 Rig Combo. Picked up the XL Stone today. Got home and then realized to get your configuration I also needed the PS which I did not have.  So, I put the woo and 17 inch stone in it's normal position legs in or out of the fire ring notches, then the adjustable rig "upside down", the grid, and then the stone. This raises the XL stone about 3 inches above the felt.  Will try some pizza soon.
    Thanks Dave
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    I use a BGE XL stone.  PS legs up, grid, Woo (turned upside down), and XL stone.  That's about as high as you can get that stone, and it works great.
    with this setup, how high above the feltline does it get the xl stone?

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• MrDave
    Max
    With the woo on top of the fire ring the top of the stone is 3 inches above the felt. With the woo2  in the notches of the fire ring it is 2 inches. Doc if you see this what height is your stone at?
    Dave