Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Butt - Success!

Hi All,

I finished my first butt, and I must say it exceeded all of my expectations!

8.5 pounds, cooked for 16 hours at 225 dome, pulled at 200 internal. I started it late evening on Friday and it was done for dinnertime Saturday.

Thumbs up from all guests!

-- Josh

·

Comments

• Looks great. Congrats!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Looks great and sounds like a successful first butt. Good job. I've done a number of butts at 225 with great results and some very long cook times. Most recently have bumped up the temp to 275 or so with good results as well.
  • Good on you. It does feel good when the guest comment positively. And on your first attempt. You are well on your way. Congradulations
    ·
  • 16 hrs????? Wow that seems like a very long time for a 9 lb butt even at 225. Looks good though
    ·
  • ttexxan said:
    16 hrs????? Wow that seems like a very long time for a 9 lb butt even at 225. Looks good though
    Well, I did read that 1.5-2 hours per pound at that temp was normal, so it came in at just under 2 hours/pound.

Most of the "bad butt" reports I had read on the forum seemed due to pulling too early, so I made a point of ensuring it was 200 degrees throughout.
    ·
  • A butt takes as long to cook as it takes. Reason you have to have a Thermopen to check it, course you can pull the bone and if it falls out it's done. Looks like you did a good job, congratulations!

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • BRush00BRush00 Posts: 335
    TorontoBBQer - if your name was 'Calgary', I would think that you were secretly my wife taking pictures (and credit for) my Friday night/Saturday cook!

HA!

Good job.

[Insert clever signature line here]
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 260
    Nice going, eh!  And, great call for keeping it on the egg until you hit the right temp! 
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·