Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Comparisons

2»

Comments

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

I take no joy in disagreeing with Lit, but my opinion on Tojiro differs from his.  I find them too thick behind the edge leading to pronounced wedging resistance. 

Tojiro handles are also indifferently finished (sanded) and squarish in cross section, thus clunky feeling in the hand where more agility = more precision.

I have a couple of them and both have spent considerable time pressed against my 1 x 42 belt sander to thin the blades and un-clunk the handles.

Shun & Mac are hardly the acme of current kitchen knife offerings, but both will cut right out of the box without need for modification.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2012
    I agree with the handle issue but am so happy with the blade that I am considering sending the knife back to chefknivestogo to get a custom handle made that will cost twice as much as the knife. My $60 knife is as sharp as any knife you will find and is a 64-65 hardness so it will hold the edge. I sanded the blade with 600 wet sand paper to get the black off the edges and reduce the drag. This video is my $60 knife as sharp as any knife you will find.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2D7_10cIY7w
  • MikeG
    Which knife do you have Lit?   My comments refer specifically to Tojiro's DP series, their most popular line. 
  • Lit
    I have this. The DP and this are both the very bottom of the line Tojiro. I am looking at other Tojiros more specifically a nakiri but his better knives are way more expensive. There is a WA nakiri on chefknivestogo that is fairly cheap but they are sold out.
    http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshwa21.html
  • MikeG

I have the DP Nakiri but neve use it.   It's one of 8 or so knives I bought a few months back exploring different shapes and seeing what I'd like.

I bought a Konosuki HH stainless and could sell most of the rest and never miss them.  For tasks where a Japanese laser is suitable the Kono just spoils you for others.  I even use it carefully to work apart acorn squash - the thinness is really addicting.   

For most meat cutting I use an Artifex AEB-L steel gyuto that I thinned a great deal (holy crap it was a bad wedger), but the handle is too small so I might look for another 'thick' blade gyuto. 

The other knife I'd keep is a Tojiro DP Honesuki boning knife - worked over extensively.    With a cutco parer my wife bought from some poor kid I think those 4 would get me by, and I cut up a lot of veggies these days.

• Lit

Seems you like thin knives. My favorite knife is my Takeda 240mm Gyuto. Would never use it to cut anything with a bone but it is the sharpest and friendliest kife to cut with I own.imageimage

• MikeG

I like the wa handle.  My two 240mm gyutos are both wa handled.  Strange at first, then you realize your hand is never struggling for the right position on it.  

PM me your address and I'll loan you my Nakiri for a couple weeks if you want to agree to send it back when done.  Might scratch that itch for you.

• Lit
    Thanks for the offer but I don't really like to borrow peoples stuff. What did you not like about the knife was it the Nakiri shape or the blade? The one I was thinking about getting is the DP WA Nakiri so if its the blade you didn't like I may look into something else. I really like the wa handles also but the one that came on my Tojito is cheap and absorbs stains bad if I don't keep the handle conditioned well. This is the knife ibwas thinking about getting. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshsa16.html