Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Day Pics

Options
The Brine

The Birds

Bad Byron's

Smokin

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Beautiful looking birds!  Look very juicy...i'm sure the family was in heaven.  Great work!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Gilabert
    Options
    Good looking birds and looks really moist, if you don't mind me asking how did you do it? I brined mine for 12 hours, (an 18lbs) and still wasn't all that pleased. I came to the conclusion that Turkey is simply hard to cook, but then again I see your pictures and I had to have done something wrong. Once again, well done on the Turkey.
  • War_Eagle_2244
    Options

Thanks Gilabert!  I cooked the two breasts on the morning of Thanksgiving.  I actually put them in the brine on Monday night.  They were both frozen & I put a bag of ice in the cooler also.  They thawed very slowly.  They probably weren’t 100% thawed until sometime Tuesday afternoon/night.

I took them out of the brine late Wednesday afternoon,  rinsed with cold water, patted dry, & put them in the refrigerator, uncovered.  Late Wednesday night, I coated them with vegetable oil & rubbed with Bad Byron’s & put them back into the fridge.  I put them on the Egg around 9am.  Smoked with Hickory & Pecan chunks & used Wicked Good WW.  I cooked them at 300 degrees and pulled them at an internal temp of 165.  The smaller one (about 9 lbs) only took about 2 hours.  The bigger one (10 lbs) took right at 3 hours.  They tasted great & were very moist.  I was worried that I had left them in the brine too long but they were not salty at all.  I think it is because they thawed so slowly.   I think I may use the same technique next time except cook them at a higher temp…maybe 350.    

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I did a 19 lb whole bird (no brine) at 325 until internal of 162. I didn't watch the clock, so cant quote how long it took. But got rave reviews. There were a few people that said they didn't like turkey because it was so dry, but ate this one and loved it.

Good luck on the coaching search! (just stay away from Kirby, lol)
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs