Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Changing heat temps mid bake help.

MJQ8
MJQ8 Posts: 43

Hi and seasons greetings,

For Thanksgiving I made two pies, one pumpkin and one apple. The only glitch I ran into that I did not plan for is needing to lower the temps from 425 to 350. We all know (now anyway) it takes forever to bring the temp down. One solution I thought of afterward is just keeping at 425 for shorter time until it looks done. Anyway, I put the pumpkin pie on and yanked it when the crust barely started to blacken in some spots, (found out after the fact my wife has these pie crust sheilds to prevent burning. who knew?) other wise it came out great. I did end up though doing the apple pie in our kitchen oven. Anyone ever run into this issue before? What did you do or will do in the future?

Take care,

Mike

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.

Comments

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I have done that exactly but I have seared steaks at 700 and the cooked then at 400 and the way to do that is to bring the temp up with the dome open so you dOnt heat up all the some ceramic. After the sear is done (which only takes a few minutes so the ceramic doesnt heat up too much) you close down the daisy wheel to about 3/4 and it stabilizes around 400. I would try a variation of that...Enjoy the journey!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43
     Will try this in the future. Thanks Booksw!
    Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.