Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket help- is my fire out?

bookswbooksw Posts: 234
I am in the middle of my brisket cook and I am so tempted to open the dome that I thought I would post this for advice instead to keep me away from the temptation...  I filled the firebox overfull last night with 90% new lump after making sure all the holes were clear.  My temp has not gotten past 240 (dome) since 10 PM.  At 6 AM I was at 220 with the daisy wheel 1/2 open and the bottom vent at 1/4 inch.  At 7 AM I was down to 180 so I opened the daisy wheel all the way. At 7:40 I was still at 180 so I opened the bottom vent all the way.  Now it's 8:20 and I am still at 180 (maybe a hair below).  The meat has been at 162 the whole time...

Should I open it, take the whole thing apart, and add more lump...? I have never had to do that before for an overnight cook but then again my gasket is pretty well fried and I noticed last night that there was smoke leaking out one side through the gasket...

Thanks!!
Charleston, SC
·

Comments

• bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    Now at 8:35 I am I think a hair above 180 dome so I open the bottom vent all the way (I thought it was all the way  before but it had a bit to go) and otherwise leave it alone.  I figure as long as it is 195 at the grate (which it probably is but my maverick grate probe always goes HHH when I try to set it up so I didn't bother this time), the meat will eventually get to 195...  I will resist the temptation (for now)
    Charleston, SC
    ·
    I still haven't opened it- but now smoke is billowing out. I am not sure if it is really a change from before or if the difference is the sun coming up and the light changing on my deck so now I can SEE the smoke... Where there is smoke there's fire so I am leaving it alone- all vents wide open and at about 190 dome. The meat has gone up one degree to 163! I've got all day :)
    Charleston, SC
    ·
  • I think that if its smoking then leave it alone. I bet it shoots up to temp. Good luck!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

·
    Thanks! I am glad to have this forum to turn to and distract myself from the temptation to peek... Now it is 220 and the meat may be out of its stall- 167! Now I am thinking about the three sauces I will serve with it. I am going to make the KC BBQ sauce from the BGE book to cook the cubed point in a foil pouch for "burnt ends", I have a BBQ restaurant down the road that makes a killer maionaise based brisket sauce that we will pick up, and then I have to come up with a third sauce for the savory tomato onion garlic fans in my extended family... Not sure about that one yet.
    Charleston, SC
    ·
  • Sounds awesome!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,433
    Nice patience...and cook.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Try a wiggle rod. If there is no blockage, with the top and bottom wide open the temperature should be over 700 in a few minutes, unless the lump is burned up.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

·