Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So, sounds like the consensus is to cook turkey at a higher temp?

I did a practice run on a turkey breast a few weeks ago.  I cooked it at a dome temp of about 260-275.  It turned out really well but do you all think you get better results but cooking it at about 350?  I pulled it at an internal tem p of 165.  

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I haven't not cooked a turkey on my egg, but here is a general rule I use.  If I am doing indirect I go at the same temp I would cook it in an oven.  I cook ABT's at 400 because I bake bacon at 400.  I haven't tested this for turkey, as I mentioned, but that's just my take on it. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The charcuterie brine I used said to smoke at 200 in the recipe. I don't have the guru adapter for my XL yet and I can't fit a spatchcocked turkey on my large so I may go with what I know and do 450 indirect for a half hour then 350-400 till it hits 160 breast. I have tried chicken wings low and slow and the skin came out rubbery. Gonna soak the great in an ice bath in a 13*9 pan so they are colder than the dark meat so the breast hit 160 and the dark meat hits 180 at the same time.
  • Smoking a turkey breast this AM (grill is heating up now). :)

I'm going indirect at 325, cooking approx 45 min for every pound of bird.  Should be around 4 hours, or 'till the temp goes around 165.

This my first time smoking a bird (new Egg owner!), so wish me luck!

BB
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    At 325 grate, you will see this sucker done long before 4 hours.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • I like turkey at 350
  • I've cooked them at 350 to an internal of 160-165 on the breast and had good results. Hope you're cooking a big bird. You'll need some comfort food for Saturday night. Just kidding, but RTR anyway. Looking forward to being there Saturday.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Smoking a turkey breast this AM (grill is heating up now). :)

I'm going indirect at 325, cooking approx 45 min for every pound of bird.  Should be around 4 hours, or 'till the temp goes around 165.

This my first time smoking a bird (new Egg owner!), so wish me luck!

BB
    I thought it was 15 min to a pound??

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• yeah...at 325°, you're looking at closer to 14 min/pound.....not 45.
  • Think that was a typo unless he has like a five pound bird

Steve 

Caledon, ON