Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it safe to leave my egg out all winter

Options

Was wondering if it will be safe to leave my Large egg outside all winter. I live in North Dakota, and it isn't unheard of to have temps drop into the negative 30-40 degree F range with windchills that can go negative 60. Thats extreme and rare, but it can happen. I ask because I went outside today to get my egg ready for Thanksgiving by doing a clean burn and noticed there is a hairline crack in my plate setter that i never noticed before and i am worried that freeze thaw cycle that has occured here may have cause it. Not sure, but I think the crack is new, and it has been inside the egg this whole time. Not too concerned about the plate setter, cause thats a fairly cheap replacement, but the egg itself is a whole different story.

So what is the concensus. Is it safe outside all winter. Do I need to remove the firebox and fire ring from inside it, because I want to leave it out and use it on the nicer cold days, but not if I am going to end up with a broken egg.  Thanks all

Comments