Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Turkey and gravy

I have been asked to smoke a turkey to bring to a friend's for Thanksgiving.  I plan to spatchcock the bird, probably no bigger than 14 pounds as I have a large BGE.  I think I can handle that part just fine and like the spatchcock chickens that I do - raised direct.

My problem is with a gravy.  Can anyone recommend good and easy gravy recipes?  Going direct, I wont have any drippings.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
·

Comments

• You can buy some extra necks, wings and backs and roast them off. Use the drippings from that and chicken stock, plus the turkey bits and simmer for a few hours. Thicken with roux

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • +1 for extra parts, but might I suggest adding a mirepoix during roast, then the roux, and then strain through a fine mesh.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,396
    I also roast the turkey parts with carrots, celery and onions until nice and brown. Then into the pressure cooker for 20 minutes. I sometimes reduce the pressure cooker broth to concentrate the flavors. Salt at the very end.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·