Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High-que grates

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Hi-Q grate is ridiculously priced and does not perform any better than my original CI plate.  I opened the holes up to 3/4" and it took it to the next level.  I am a retired engineer and I like to make things. With a little creative thinking you don't have to spend much to get the same results as some over priced grilling items.  The Thermapen and other expensive time and temp toys are such a waste.  I can buy a lot of grilling meat for $400 while using my $40 Green Egg digital temp probes.
    I guess I hear what you are saying, and if you have the skills to make something better than have at it.  We are just talking about $30 for a large though...this isn't some super high priced item. 

You sort of lost me on the Thermapen part.  Thermapen is about $90, so you are talking a $50 difference.  Guessing you are talking about the more expensive temperature controllers..but we are really digressing quite a bit now from the $30 grill grate! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hi-Q grate is ridiculously priced and does not perform any better than my original CI plate.  I opened the holes up to 3/4" and it took it to the next level.  I am a retired engineer and I like to make things. With a little creative thinking you don't have to spend much to get the same results as some over priced grilling items.  The Thermapen and other expensive time and temp toys are such a waste.  I can buy a lot of grilling meat for $400 while using my $40 Green Egg digital temp probes.

Shoot! Using your logic, an egg is a overpriced toy that we would have been better off not buying and getting a Char-griller Kamodo for $300 and used the $500+ to by meat with.......
    Don't tell my wife!
    :))