Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt?

Options
Can someone give a quick synopsis of how they do a turbo butt?  TIA

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sorry this didn't get answered in a timely manor..... 

Basically, you cook indirect at 350F, plus or minus 50F. Same rules apply - make sure the smoke smells good, pull when between 190-205F when it's done - skewer in the meat has little resistance and the whole butt is starting to fall apart.
    Options
    I wrap mine in foil at 160 internal and leave it until 200 internal.

I learned from @mickey, the turbo team captain.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2012
    Options

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Thank you Wayne (Thirdeye)for the hand holding. Also thanks to Richard and Gary (Village Idiot)and Kent and Chubby for all the emails and calls on other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, no anything. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145/155. I did score the ham deep.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JwgreDeux
    Options
    I usually cook two butts at a time, because they come that way from costco and pork does pretty good frozen and reheated.  Once I pulled the butts off to foil them when there were at 165 internal temp.  A friend and stopped by and thought the were done and wanted to try one.  I told him that I was planning on foiling them and putting back on to get them up to 203 for pulled pork.  When I saw the disappointment in his face I decided to go ahead and slice one and put the other one back on.

It was amazing, ever since I have done one sliced at 170 internal and one pulled at 203 internal.  Not cooking for those last 30 degrees saves a ton of time if you are in a real hurry for whatever occasion it is, and it is delicious.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Okay, sorry for the threadjack.  I can never get my leftover pulled pork to reheat or store well.  Any tips or secrets on how to accomplish this?  I usually have a ton of it left over and would like for it too taste better during reheats.
    I usually just store it in a tupperware bowl in the fridge.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• JwgreDeux
    Options

YEMTrey said:
    Okay, sorry for the threadjack.  I can never get my leftover pulled pork to reheat or store well.  Any tips or secrets on how to accomplish this?  I usually have a ton of it left over and would like for it too taste better during reheats.
    I usually just store it in a tupperware bowl in the fridge.
    a foodsaver is your friend if you are going to freeze any , and warm in the microwave in short increments in small batches
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    +1 On the foodsaver.  Got one a few weeks ago and during the week had leftover PP.  We put ours in boiling water and heated similar to boiling an egg.  Almost as good as fresh off the egg.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I wrap mine in foil at 160 internal and leave it until 200 internal. I learned from @mickey, the turbo team captain.
    +1.

When I foil at 160* I also add 1 cup of apple juice and 1 cup of soda (cola or dr pepper). Then I add the beverage-drippings mixture to the meat for added flavor, plus it keeps it a bit moister if it will be sitting out for buffet style.

I also add drippings to my leftovers in foodsaver bags to be frozen. Keeps it just as juicy reheated as it was when it was first pulled.