Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide "dry" run test

Options

I have been running a test of my new sous vide controller today.  So far, so good, right now it is only working with a small crock pot filled with water, but it has been holding at 140 for about 5 hours. 

I used the plans from seattlefoodgeek.com, with a few modifications.  I did not install the heating elements but rather wired up an outlet so I could use a crock pot.  All in all I'd say I spent about $50-$60 plus the various parts I had laying around the house.  It was pretty easy to hook it all up, the only thing I wish I'd done was find a plug system for the temp probe.  Maybe I will even built one to run a fan for temp controlling the Egg.  I know it would be easier to buy one, but I had a good time tinkering this thing together.

Next up will be either the Nesco or the big crock pot and some shortribs, or maybe a steak with a finish sear on the BGE.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sweeeeet.  I've seen those - you just plug in whatever and drop the probe in the water.

I just cooked a brined turkey sous vide - dark meat around 12 hours at 176F and the breasts 2.5 hours at 147.   Just before SWMBO gets home from her shift (cardiology nurse), I'm gonna throw everything on a very hot egg to warm it up and give it some flavor.  Will add stuffing and we got a meal.  (for the next few days).