Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halloween Chili in Cast Iron Dutch Oven (pics)

Options
2»

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

Looks really good. I am going to give that a try, minus the beans.

When are you getting the XL?

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    In using the DO in the Egg and placing it directly on the platesetter, would I benefit at all from getting the Camp Dutch Oven with legs for an airflow gap?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    YEM, I would get a flat bottom one and use something for spacers...the camp legs are a pain if you ever want to use the thing on a stove or oven.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Thanks!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hi54putty said:

Looks really good. I am going to give that a try, minus the beans.

When are you getting the XL?

Whats wrong with beans?  You're not putting the chili on a hot dog.  Beans are good for you.  Black beans are a super food.  The Eggfest got canceled.  Was hoping to pick up a discounted XL there. Shouldn't be too much longer.  Maybe around the holidays or after the new year.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited November 2012
    Options
    tgkleman said:
    @HH - You can use a stainless steel pot with a lid.  There's really not much difference between that and a ceramic coated DO (both non-reactive cooking surfaces) unless you're searing - the CI can hold a lot more heat, so it will stay hotter longer when you first throw food in.

Non-coated CI imparts iron and flavor - stainless does not.
    Can you elaborate on the CI imparting a flavor?  I have heard about tomato based food in a CI dutch is not recommended, but a lot of folks seem to make chili in a CI DO.  How much of a flavor? What if the DO is seasoned?  Is this really noticeable?

Really good web page about Cast Iron.  Well worth the read.  I was able to completly restore my Rusty Daisy Wheel after reading the link:

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL