Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Sunday Funday Calzones

Everyone went to the pumpkin patch and decided to carve pumpkins at our house yesterday so we decided to get some use out of the LBGE. We thought calzones would be a nice change and something new to try. For the dough we went back to our favorite recipe from Jamie Oliver we make it in half batches so it will fit in the Kitchenaid mixer better. We used 21/2 cups of King Arthur Bread Flour and 1 cup of Semolina Flour and it worked out great! 

After letting it rise we divided it into quarters and stuck in into the fridge till an hour before we were ready to start making the calzones. 

Once the LBGE had a pizza stone temp of 400° we made two calzones and using the Super Peel put them on the Egg. 

Since we were making 8 of them we turned on the oven to keep them warm till they all were done. Just before serving I turned on the broiler and browned up the top side. 

The kids wanted to be involved and after crimping all the edges with a fork they wanted to do more so I made the last one a cheese pizza and let them make it. 

A fun weekend with family and some great food! 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Good cook man! I've been wanting to so a calzone

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • Calzones and pumpkins look great! Would you have any recommendations on a store bought dough? I don't think I'm ready to tackle making my on dough yet.
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    @SmokinBandit I don't have any recommendations for store bought. Here in Oklahoma we just got a whole foods last year and the other stores are getting better but we still are lacking in specialty types of food. I have seen people use Publix dough and Trader Joes and I'm sure many other places, I even tried to goto three local pizza places one night when I didn't have time for the dough to rise and they said they couldn't sell uncooked food, so that somewhat describes what I have to deal with in OK.  If you have a kitchenaid I highly recommend trying to make some dough. It is pretty easy and very rewarding. It can be done without it but I prefer not to knead the dough by hand. Someone else hopefully can chime in and answer your question but try making your own sometime and you will be quite surprised! 

Thanks @MrCookingNurse it was on my list and I will be making them again! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Not sure if you have one, or if you even like there dough, but Papa Murphy's pizza sells me all the raw dough I want. Good for home made pizza, not sure how it would work for calzones tho...
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    Thanks @MOvikingsfan I try to make my own but I will check them out next time I have a last minute pizza request.