Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven on Egg? or other

Mawger
Mawger Posts: 40
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Husband swears that if he cooks a beef roast in a DO and puts it on a propane burner that it

is no different than putting the DO on the Egg.  I need answers from experts.  I explained that on the

Egg it would cook from all sides evenly....his comment is "the DO spreads the heat".  If you cook a

pot roast in a DO, how do you cook it? 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Tell him that he won't get any smoke flavor on it from a propane burner.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

As Griffin said: No smoke flavor.

Just cook it indirect in the egg ((((( with-out a lid on the DO )))))......

If your DO has legs fine, if not just be sure it is not sitting directly on the indirect stone (needs a little air between).

I would use the oven before propane.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The DO does spread some heat but not as good as an enclosed egg.

+10000 with what Mickey said.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    With the lid on the DO there's probably not much difference but take the lid off towards the end and taste the magic of the egg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    sear it on the gasser then cook it lid off on the egg, i can still remember the days my mom cooked it in a pot on a stove burner
    :))

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178

Cooking with a CI DO on the egg has been one of the most enjoyable successes i've had cooking.  I love soups and stews and nothing compares to a stew cooked in CI on an egg! 

A whole chicken or a pot roast is incredible on the egg.

When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Mickey said:

If your DO has legs fine, if not just be sure it is not sitting directly on the indirect stone (needs a little air between).

Mickey,
    Egrets chili recipe says to put DO directly on the platesetter. I did so and it turned out fine. Is there supposed to be space between the two?
  • Lowflyer said:

Mickey, Egrets chili recipe says to put DO directly on the platesetter. I did so and it turned out fine. Is there supposed to be space between the two?
    I also cooked my chili in the DO sitting on the plate setter with legs down.
    Brandon, MS
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Lowflyer said:

Mickey, Egrets chili recipe says to put DO directly on the platesetter. I did so and it turned out fine. Is there supposed to be space between the two?

Never tried egret's chili, but it is best to create an air gap inbetween any cooking vessel for a little insurance.  That is why I prefer the DOs with legs.  Just plop down on the platesetter.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."