Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lamb Shoulder....picture

thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I put these 2 lamb shoulders on at 11pm last night and cooked at 215 degrees for 9 hours then I raised the temp to 250 to finish to get the internal temp to 195 for pulled lamb shoulder http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww116/JohnPatterson/65fb4a7ebf34b3687fa9ecfd8e2e9da1.jpg

Comments

• Fantastic - now I need to have a word with my butcher about getting some cuts like those.  How did you prep it before it went on?  I've been wanting to try a smoke and braise technique that a pub in London does really well.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3577/anchor-and-hopes-slowcooked-shoulder-of-lamb
    Mamaroneck
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,006
    :-bd Nicely done, John. Got anymore details or pics of the pulled lamb? What type of smoke would you suggest? Lamb isn't something I've tackled much.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    Looks fantastic. I love lamb but the only cuts I can get are leg, rack, and chops. Going to have to somehow find a way to get a shoulder or two. How much did each shoulder weigh and how many do you think a shoulder will feed?

I saw Anthony Bourdain munching down on some of these in Australia on his show. It looked like his buddy and him took a whole shoulder down but you can't trust the magic of editing on tv.
  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited October 2012
    I got the idea from the Bourdain show......at the office only one person did not care for the lamb..... Everyone else loved it.....I always tell people you don't have to be nice and tell me you like something when you don't, tell me what you really think I made a Kentucky mutton dip to go along with the lamb........for sure this is a keeper for me..... Each shoulder was around 6lbs and was seasoned all over with Kosher salt and pepper...... I will post pictures next time of the finished product..... Lamb is very rich in flavor so I think one shoulder should feed three people I picked this up at Restaurant Depot for a little over $2.00 lb
  • :-bd Nicely done, John. Got anymore details or pics of the pulled lamb? What type of smoke would you suggest? Lamb isn't something I've tackled much.
    I only use Mesquite for my cooking and then add chips and chunks.......I added a lot of apple chips and cherry chunks
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

Very interesting John,

What sort of seasoning? Does it retain the lamb flavour?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Very interesting John,

What sort of seasoning? Does it retain the lamb flavour?

Steve

I only used Kosher salt and pepper