Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Lamb chops tonight!

JHazardJHazard Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in Lamb
Haven't done the lamb chops before, but these guys (shoot! Can't figure how to post picture from my phone!) appear to be about an inch and a half. I put some salt and pepper and a blend of seasons I bought in France; oregano, rosemary, salt etc.

Planning on 400 degrees for the egg and am thinking 15-20 minutes should do it. I plan to pull around 130 and hope the rest up to 135-140.

Does this sound good? Any better ideas?

Comments

• Man, 15 to 20 minutes is way too long for lamb chops. Least to my tastes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,180
    I'd do direct, fairly high heat because I love that crispy burnt lamb on the outside, and cook to about 128 internal - cooking very hot it will rise up another 7 degrees.  Should give you a good medium rare.  Spice combo sounds perfect.  Then mix up some sour cream, whipping cream or yogurt and horseradish with a little (dried is fine) mint, salt and black pepper as a cold sauce.

• I'd do direct, fairly high heat because I love that crispy burnt lamb on the outside, and cook to about 128 internal - cooking very hot it will rise up another 7 degrees.  Should give you a good medium rare.  Spice combo sounds perfect.  Then mix up some sour cream, whipping cream or yogurt and horseradish with a little (dried is fine) mint, salt and black pepper as a cold sauce.
    You guys don't use mint sauce too much. It is the bomb for lamb.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2012
    Doing them tomorrow!  I too like to sear a bit and serve somewhat rare in the middle.  My cook is like 450, lowered grid, 5 minutes to a side.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• Marinading with your spices and a little lemon works too.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,180
    Yeah, I actually prefer rare/blue.  I'm the guy that eats raw meat when I'm prepping dinner.  Lamb can be a little slimy at beef rare temps, so I usually go MR with lamb.  But that's mostly with leg.