Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sometimes, simple is best. Beef tenderloin (pics)

Options
DonWW
DonWW Posts: 424
edited September 2012 in Beef
No tricks, no jazz.  Just a simple Costco beef tenderloin and some John Henry's pecan rub.

Trimmed and ready for the rub.

Rubbed up and ready to go.

About 1 hour later.   Cook was at 350 - 370.

No complaints here.  I did this for a party, so the tick ended provided medium rare while the thin part of the meat was for less fortunate souls who prefer their meat a tad more cooked. 

I find it a little tricky to stabilize the egg for a 350 cook.  The lump will heat the interior up to 400 pretty quickly, but adding the meat and platesetter will immediately reduce the grate temp to about 250.  Opening the vents gets it back up to 350 nicely, but then interior of the egg "catches up" and I found myself closing down the vents on a regular basis to combat an ever increasing temperature. 
XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• JPBVW
    Options
    Thisis one piece of nice meat! yummie...

| Weber OTP 57 | Mini BGE | Low & Slow |

| Holland | Europe |

• BryantD
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this, but what I do is put the platesetter in before the interior gets to 400; I also don't open the vents any more than I would if I were cooking direct. Seems to be easier to find the temperature and stick with it that way.

Nice looking tenderloin!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Very nice cook.  This is what I do when using the platesetter.  I let the fire stabilize at cooking temp, add the platesetter and let the temp come back to original temp (10-20 minutes depending on the temp of the platesetter).  When temp stabilizes the food goes on.  This requires no vent adjustments.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Roger that, this makes sense.  The only reason I have held off putting in the platesetter early was easy addition of wood chunks.  Will rethink that strategy.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.