Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Hatch" poppers/ABT's

Options
reh111
reh111 Posts: 196
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hatch chili peppers - only come from Hatch, New Mexico - usually only available this time of year - went by the grocery store in the "ethnic" part of town yesterday and, lo and behold, they had a bunch of Hatch peppers - bought a bunch, roasted most and froze for chili, etc, this winter but made some stuffing out of cream cheese, hamburger, cheddar and sun dried tomato pesto - found that I didn't have any bacon so I sliced up some ham - my lips are burning and I can't wait to see what it feels like after my two cups of coffee in the morning :

Comments

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Nice, my mouth is burning just looking at the pics
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Nice.  Hatch chili peppers are the best.  If you have a chance go back and get some more, roast on the egg,  stuff in plastic bag and freeze for later.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Hatch are good. Cut them into burgers---Wow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Anyone living in Wegman's territory should go by tomorrow if they want to grab some. They are having a Hatch chile festival (9/7-9/9) with all kinds chile-containing foods and fresh peppers. I picked up 7 lbs to roast, make salsa and hot sauce.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Had some Hatch the other evening arrive in my basket at the homemade chopped challenge.  Also had peaches & Oatmeal cookie mix so I planned on doing a pepper stuffed with peach & topped with oatmeal crumble.  When I charred the pepper, and removed the skin, it was fibrous and with little or no substance.  I could not even stuff them after cleaning because there was just not enough to go with.

Regardless, I added scrapings to my dessert and did them in a ramekin.  It was fantastic!  Sweet with a hint of spice.

Do other folks have that same issue with stuffing the hatch pepper or is it just me?

Thanks-  P

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Never tried freezing peppers before, sounds like they need to be roasted first. How's that work out?
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    You can just roast, cool and freeze. Some folks thing they hold up best that way. Most people roast and peel before freezing, though. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Here is my method: set up egg indirect, you want heat with just little char. Wash and dry....make sure they are dry. Set a grate at felt line and another grate above that one. Place peppers in single layer and roast at 450 until limp an slightly charred. ( you will need flip peppers or rotate grates at least once). No defined time use my eyes and nose, they will tell you when the chilis are ready to come off. Place in place bag and seal. Place bag on ice to cool. Once peppers are cooled freeze. Hatch chilis don't have as thick of skin so you don't have to peel before freezing. Before freezing you can snip off whatever is left of the stem, or you can split and clean out the seeds. (I do both, which I use depends on the cook)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx