Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast dripping over a pastrami?

Options
Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys. I'm cooking a 10.5lb shank portion ham, a 6lb turkey breast, and I have a 6lb brisket brined for pastrami tomorow. I plan on slicing all for cold cuts on sunday for a bday celebration. I wanted to egg at least two of these at one time and the ham is too large to include another meat with...
Soooooo, if I have my turkey dripping on my pastrami will it have any bad effects? (I don't have enough height for a pan and v rack above pastrami)
 I know the pastrami is excellent without a breast leaking on it.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Brownie
    Options
    Anybody do chicken over beef low and slow?????
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,488
    Options
    Turkey breast drips very little, if at all; I think you're fine.

If the pastrami was over the turkey, it would drip a LOT.  But, I bet that would only improve the turkey!  

Whenever I have a choice like this, I cut the two meats in half, then stack the turkey over the pastrami on one half of the grill, and vicer-verser on the other half; I love to experiment, even during a bday party.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Brownie
    Options
    Thanks @Botch  It's not the first turkey I've eaten off the egg but it is my first turkey cook on the egg. Confusing?... I didn't know about drippings.

But now I'm thinking my turkey may benefit more from a separate cook at a higher temp. I did a dry brine for it overnight. Too many choices. They are calling for severe thunderstorms here tomorrow so the more I egg in a combined cook, the better off I'll be.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The pastrami will be fine.  They're traditionally steamed before serving, and all that steam condenses and washes down the side constantly when it's heating up.  And as botch said, breasts are lean with very little fat and moisture.  Not much dripping.
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys.
  • Brownie
    Options
    Smoked until internal temp reached 120 and started the baste. I'm using grade B maple syrup and butter... MMMMMM......Yum
    This pic was at second baste. I'm basting every 15 degrees till finished.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,488
    Options
    Lookin great!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month