Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey breast dripping over a pastrami?

BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys. I'm cooking a 10.5lb shank portion ham, a 6lb turkey breast, and I have a 6lb brisket brined for pastrami tomorow. I plan on slicing all for cold cuts on sunday for a bday celebration. I wanted to egg at least two of these at one time and the ham is too large to include another meat with...
Soooooo, if I have my turkey dripping on my pastrami will it have any bad effects? (I don't have enough height for a pan and v rack above pastrami)
 I know the pastrami is excellent without a breast leaking on it.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Anybody do chicken over beef low and slow?????
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,378
    Turkey breast drips very little, if at all; I think you're fine.

If the pastrami was over the turkey, it would drip a LOT.  But, I bet that would only improve the turkey!  

Whenever I have a choice like this, I cut the two meats in half, then stack the turkey over the pastrami on one half of the grill, and vicer-verser on the other half; I love to experiment, even during a bday party.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    Thanks @Botch ;  It's not the first turkey I've eaten off the egg but it is my first turkey cook on the egg. Confusing?... I didn't know about drippings.

But now I'm thinking my turkey may benefit more from a separate cook at a higher temp. I did a dry brine for it overnight. Too many choices. They are calling for severe thunderstorms here tomorrow so the more I egg in a combined cook, the better off I'll be.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,469
    The pastrami will be fine.  They're traditionally steamed before serving, and all that steam condenses and washes down the side constantly when it's heating up.  And as botch said, breasts are lean with very little fat and moisture.  Not much dripping.

Thanks for your input guys.
    IMG_0573.JPG 550.5K
    Smoked until internal temp reached 120 and started the baste. I'm using grade B maple syrup and butter... MMMMMM......Yum
    This pic was at second baste. I'm basting every 15 degrees till finished.
    IMG_0574.JPG 606.3K
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,378
    Lookin great!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.