Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking any of the white fish species ... low-n-slow?

Squeezy
Squeezy Posts: 1,102
edited August 2012 in Seafood
Looking for any info/recipe for smoking fresh white fish of any species in a low-n-slow method?
Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    I accidently smoked some codfish fillets.  I thought the temp was higher than it was (on my OLD kamodo) and then lost a bit of time.  Once off, wife came home from work and I put this abomination on the plate.  It was horribly bitter and mushy.  She stated that prison food had to be better.  So........no recipe, only some bad info for you.  Good luck and hope I can follow the thread for a good recipe.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Thanks for your less than encouraging input ... :D
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • LongboardR
    LongboardR Posts: 101
    All I smoke is King Mackrell anymore...nice and oily and holds up great to the smoke. Then make fish spread from it. King fish season is a few months off. That would be a good one to post down the road.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I smoked some tuna filets a few months back, chopped it, and made smoked tuna dip out of it. We left really thick and pasty for crackers and hot sauce. Easily one of the top 3 things I've made on the Egg. It was delicious, and didn't take long to cook. 200-225 for maybe an hour - hour and a half. Good stuff. Give it a try.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    I smoked some Mahi Similar to Mayberry's time and temp but on an alder plank for maybe 2 hours and it turned out fantastic! I typically use a wood plank for fish (usually alder or maple) unless its tuna steaks then it's hot and fast at 450 for about 45-60 seconds per side coated in dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk rub! I still use chunks of cherry or apple just to absorb a little bit of smoke!
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I didn't use a plank, myself. Flat on the grate, indirect, but I used a few apple wood chunks and I think a cherry chunk.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • @Mayberry what is your recipe for smoked tuna dip?  I've been looking to make some and just ran across this thread.
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS