Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lookin for side dish suggestions

BigGreenBamaGrillerBigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 526
edited August 2012 in Sides
Gonna do a cook for the game Saturday. Menu includes:

ABTs
Carwash Mike Ribs
Jalapeno & roasted red pepper creamed corn
Sourdough bread rolls

I am trying to think of some other side to go with the ribs. Any go-to suggestions from the group?

Roll Tide Roll!!!
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
·

Comments

• GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 261
    I would think some Baked Beans would be good along with the Ribs as would a good salad.
    ·
  • Cheesy hashbrowns
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    Bacon?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • You can't go wrong with my Four Cheese Mac 'n Cheese... it's perfect with ribs, IMO. ;) Macaroni & Four Cheese
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • BBQ, mac and cheese, baked beans, corn, collar greens, zipper cream peas and tater salad.  Reminds me of the old days being at Granny's house for family get together and dinner. Ahhhh, the good ole days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • You are probably right about the baked beans. I am personally not a fan, but the rest of the world is.

Necessary - That mac n cheese looks good. Is it posted somewhere?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,796
    Pinto beans. Simple and if you use dry beans, they take almost the exact time as ribs. You can use just about anything but here is an example of what I would use. 

Dry pinto beans (duh)
    low sodium chicken stock
    bacon(raw)
    cilantro(fresh)
    pickled cactus
    sliced pickled jalapeños 
    diced onion
    season to taste(go easy on the salt, the rest of the goodies have plenty)

Cook uncovered (I use a enameled cast iron pot) takes 4-5 hours. Stir every hour or so.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,101
    edited August 2012
    Here is the recipe: http://necessaryindulgences.com/recipe-macaroni-four-cheese

You can double the béchamel sauce for a creamier mac ‘n cheese (that's what I do). :)

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    I'm going to try your mac n' cheese recipe, Kristi.  It looks sinful .   :-c

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Anything from the pioneer women goes good

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/category/sides/
    ·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    Here's one I saw on another web site this morning that looks awesome:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/deviled_egg_salad/

Tim
    ·
  • How about some MAIZE & BLUE CHEESE?  GO BLUE!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Tamale cornbread dressing.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,435
    This is simple and always a hit for me.

Mike

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw

5 cups shredded cabbage
    1 cup shredded red cabbage
    1/2 cup mayo
    1/4 cup butter milk
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (split 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
    salt to taste
    fresh ground black pepper to taste

Combine cabbage in large bowl. In a food processor or blender combine mayo, butter milk, garlic, 1/2 cup blue cheese, Dijon, pinch of salt and pepper. Process until smooth, pour over cabbage, add remaining blue cheese, toss to coat/mix. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, cover and chill for 3-4 hours. 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • BOWHUNR said:
    This is simple and always a hit for me.

Mike

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw

5 cups shredded cabbage
    1 cup shredded red cabbage
    1/2 cup mayo
    1/4 cup butter milk
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (split 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
    salt to taste
    fresh ground black pepper to taste

Combine cabbage in large bowl. In a food processor or blender combine mayo, butter milk, garlic, 1/2 cup blue cheese, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />Dijon, pinch of salt and pepper. Process until smooth, pour over cabbage, add remaining blue cheese, toss to coat/mix. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, cover and chill for 3-4 hours. 

Gotta have the MAIZE to go with the BLUE! GO BLUE! Slam Bama!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • I like the enthusiasm Mr. Flintstone. Let's talk again tomorrow night. Happy tailgating!

Roll Tide Roll!!!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • Bama sure did open a big ol' can of whoop...well, they slaughtered us Wolverines.  Enjoy your season.  I'm glad we don't play you guys again.

·
  • Here is the recipe: http://necessaryindulgences.com/recipe-macaroni-four-cheese

You can double the béchamel sauce for a creamier mac ‘n cheese (that's what I do). :)

I will have to admit I used it more than once with it and it is amazing stuff. I totally endorse it because it is just so delicious. If you want good foods then follow her and she knows how to really cook. I like her approach because it is very elegant. 
    ·
  • inkyon said:
    Here is the recipe: http://necessaryindulgences.com/recipe-macaroni-four-cheese

I will have to admit I used it more than once with it and it is amazing stuff. I totally endorse it because it is just so delicious. If you want good foods then follow her and she knows how to really cook. I like her approach because it is very elegant. 
    Wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words.  :\">
    ·