Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with pork butts

Options
grillingunner
grillingunner Posts: 116
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to do 2 9lb buts for my sons birthday next week (turbo method). The last one I did took about 1.5 hours per pound. We are wanting to eat about 5. Can I still plan on 1.5 hours per pound while cooking 2 butts at once. Or should I plan on them taking longer. I guess to be safe I could start early and use the FTC method when they are done. Any help is greatly appreciated.
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i've never done turbo butts myself butt if the butts aren't touching treat them as two separate cooks.monitor both separately one will be done before the other most likely. good luck enjoy and post some pics of your cook.  
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Time will be real close to the time for one butt.  I hate to ever see anybody trying to time a brisket of pork butt to a set eating time.

It will hold for HOURS if you FTC, so get it done early and don't be rushing it at the end.
  • grillingunner
    Options
    Thanks for the input I guess I will be starting a fire around 3 am
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    3am seems early to me. What temp are you using for your cooks? I did a 10.5lb butt on sunday in 8hrs. I did 300* grid till I reached 160* internal, foiled and bumped dome to 375* for the finish.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

This past weekend, 7.5 pound.

Fire lited at 5:30.  Butt went on at 6:45.

Done at 3 - into the cooler.

Not a Turbo expert - but was trying some things to improve bark ( different topic ).   Started at 400+, brought it back down around 300 dome till finish.  One of the best I have done.

I think cooking 2 at the same time - add some time for heat stabilization - you have put double the amount of cold meat in.   Probably add an hour ( just guessing).  After the Egg recovers to temp - then it should be the same as a single.

Watch the stall, after you get well into the stall - you can bring up the temp and hurry them up without any collateral damage.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

This past weekend, 7.5 pound.

Fire lited at 5:30.  Butt went on at 6:45.

Done at 3 - into the cooler.

Not a Turbo expert - but was trying some things to improve bark ( different topic ).   Started at 400+, brought it back down around 300 dome till finish.  One of the best I have done.

I think cooking 2 at the same time - add some time for heat stabilization - you have put double the amount of cold meat in.   Probably add an hour ( just guessing).  After the Egg recovers to temp - then it should be the same as a single.

Watch the stall, after you get well into the stall - you can bring up the temp and hurry them up without any collateral damage.

Cookin in Texas