Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ruh-roh...overnight pork butt @290?

Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thought was stabilized when went to bed @240...woke up 7 hrs later and dome temp was 290. 9 lb butt already at 175 not even 11 hrs into cook. Gonna have big impact on end result?
·

Comments

• newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    Not at all. Somewhat higher temps will actually yield better results on butts and briskets. I usually cook shoulders at about 275-280 dome. On my last overnight (a butt), my dome was 350 when I woke up. I freaked out, but forum members talked me off the ledge, and it tasted great. You can go a little lower if you want to slow it down, but it may stall for several hours. Once it's done, you can FTC for at least five hours without a problem.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Right on. Thats where I cook my butts 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • lecramslecrams Posts: 106
    +1 on the higher temps
    ·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 617
    You won't have any problem at all.  Pork butts are very forgiving.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·