Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How many chickens do I need/can I fit?

cep55cep55 Posts: 20
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi, all -

I am having a few people over tomorrow (six girls, two guys), and I'd like to do spatchcock chicken, but I've only ever done one at a time.

For these eight people (there will be appetizers for a couple of hours before dinner, and a salad and side, as well as dessert), how many chickens would you recommend.

And, how many chickens can I fit on my LGBE at one time? Any creative ways to fit more without compromising the succulence? (I have a raised grid as well as an adjustable rig).

I appreciate any thoughts!
Christina

Comments

• RubmyrockRubmyrock Posts: 266
    I've stacked six on three grates. You could possibly get three on one grate for a total of nine.
  • I did 3 on one grate.
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 271
    any pictures of the multiples?
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    If you cut them in half you can probably get 3 but tight. I do 2 all the time which should be enough for all of you. If you do halves they will cook exactly like spatchcock.
    George
  • cep55cep55 Posts: 20
    Great, thank you all! I will probably try cutting them in half, we'll see...
  • BullhalseyBullhalsey Posts: 107
    with a raised grid, I think you could easily do 5 on a Large. 4 would be plenty for 6 people.