Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about cooking steaks to different temperatures

Vitaman
Vitaman Posts: 46
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

This may be a dumb question, but everyone in my family likes their steaks done differently.  I like mine rare, my kids are medium and my wife is well done (that doesn't sound right :).

Anyway, when I am cooking on my BGE, would you recommend I put them all on at the same time, then pull them as they reach their appropriate degree of doneness (is that even a word?) which means they will be resting for different lenghts of time, or would you recommend putting them on at different times, trying to have them all finish at about the same time?  When I used to cook steaks on my gasser I would try to have them finish at about the same time, but by the time I put mine on, the temperature was down quit a bit and it never really occurred to me to do it any other way.

I know I could experiment both ways, but with the price of steaks, I'm trying to ruin as few as possible.  Plus I really appreciate everyone's help.

Thoughts?
Jeff

Comments

• Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    @vitaman my family like there steaks at different degrees of doneness also. I use the reverse sear technique. I get egg about 400 and place steaks that need to be well done first then goes the medium, then medium rare. When the steaks are about 20 degrees from being done ill pull them and crank the egg up. Then I'll sear, pull steaks and let them rest 5-10 mins
  • Vitaman
    Thanks outlaw, I'll have to try this. Have you ever tried non reverse sear? Just curious how you did it and how it came out.
    Jeff
  • Outlaw77
    @vitaman Yes I have tried multiple methods. Trex is a good way also. If its just me and the wife i will hot tub them. I just finished two 2" thick tbones tonight for dinner that I hot tubed. I filled a boiler pot up about 2/3 full with hot water and put pot on the stove on simmer. Then I put tbones that were in a vacuum bag in pot and let them simmer for 40-45 mins. The water held between 115 to 119 degs. Then I seared them for 90secs a side on the egg. Pulled steaks at 129. Let them rest 5 mins. The finished temp was 134. Let me know if you need more info how to hot tub a steak. I prefer this if I only cooking 3 or less. More than that and I'll reverse sear, IMO.
  • Outlaw77
    Not much work @hapster. I'll put steaks in hot tub then light egg. Leave them in while egg is coming up to nuclear which usually takes mine about 35-40 mins. Then 90 a side. However I'll always check temps before egg and after to make sure everything is on schedule. I use trex some too. I cook steaks about twice a week and I'll do them different each time because I'll be too hammered to remember how I did them the last time they turned out so good :D
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Not much work @hapster. I'll put steaks in hot tub then light egg. Leave them in while egg is coming up to nuclear which usually takes mine about 35-40 mins. Then 90 a side. However I'll always check temps before egg and after to make sure everything is on schedule. I use trex some too. I cook steaks about twice a week and I'll do them different each time because I'll be too hammered to remember how I did them the last time they turned out so good :D

If they are only on the grill for 90sec per side do they get much benefit from grilling on the egg?
    George
  • Vitaman
    Gte-I'm no expert, but I think the benefit of a BGE for a 90 second cook is the temperature you can bring you egg up to. I seared a steak last week at about 700 degrees and it was fantastic. Never was really able to get my gasser that hot.
    Jeff