Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting more grill surface out of my large egg

Options
Captpablo
Captpablo Posts: 63
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've read about different folks setting up their eggs differently depending on what they are cooking.  I've found that the OEM set up it just fine for about everything. Placesetter legs up or down included. I've had great success.

My issue is grilling/ smoking surface.  I am pretty sure I could put two 8 lb butts or briskets across the top and do fine. What are my up set up options to utilize the space in my egg for slow cooks?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,499
    Options
    I have the LBGE and like you like more grid space-the answer is to go vertical.  The easiest way is to get another grid (Weber makes many different diameters-get one around 1-2" smaller than your main grid) and you can use fire bricks, bolts with washers, empty (key word) beverage cans to raise the second grid.  Search raised grid and you should get posts with pics-if the search here is weak try google and raised grid with big green egg in the header.  Once you figure out what you really want/need there are a few after-market products that will do about the same thing.  Ceramic grill works and ceramic grill store offer different options.  Welcome and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.