Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tribute to The Egg and our BGE

SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Several years ago I came across a Big Green Egg ad in a magazine and was 'smitten' by the concept and idea. But hey, wait a minute, where do you get one of these things? And hey, wait an hour, where's the price? How much do these things cost? Well, if you have to ask ..... So I google Big Green Egg, found the BGE site and after some 'interrogation' determined ball park cost and resigned from further pursuit of a BGE (owned a fifty buck Weber at the time, and LOVED THAT!).

Five-eight years pass, the wife (The Egg) and I sign up our son for Scouts, and at our first pack campout lo and behold one of the Scoutmasters has a Big Some of you mention 'SWMBO' etc. but I seem to be having the opposite experience. And so will post my tribute to my 'Egg'!

Green Egg! I've never seen a real one and had forgotten about the ad. Scoutmaster was cooking a brisket on it and since I circled around it for the next day or so gave me the full tour along with 'cook's favors' consisting of nibbles off the brisket, a full beef tenderloin, etc. He was lo and slowing the brisket overnight at 200F and then 'rushed' the tenderloin at 500-600F! I was gut hooked. 

A few months later The Egg (the wife) is hinting around for gift ideas for my birthday, has a 'eureka moment' and next thing I know we're off to the local BGE dealer where they have waiting for me a large BGE with platesetter. Happy Birthday says The Egg (the wife) !

We (The Egg &I) have had the Egg (the BGE) for nine months now. Yesterday I cooked up 'just another pork shoulder' from Costco. She loves this, it's a world beyond what she used to throw into the crock pot and smother in K. C. Masterpiece. And now, while the shoulder's 'resting' in the cooler I throw on stuff like sweet potato 'steaks', ears of corn, various veggies to roast, and even peaches! Most of what I 'know' is thanks to you all and this site! As soon as the Egg (BGE) came home we googled up BGE and 'found' this forum, and it has provided most of the 'training' we needed to use our Egg (BGE) to it's full potential (we still have a ways to go! But it's the journey .....).

I've lucked out. The Egg (the wife) got us an Egg (BGE) and it has become a member of our family much like the dog and sons we've had. And though she's never touched it and I do all the cooking she loves just about everything that comes off it and it's raised our quality of life!  

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Right on, man.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I hear you
    Large, small, and a mini
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Right there with you!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    I smell what you are stepping in.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • tenorman
    tenorman Posts: 23
    Several years ago I came across a Big Green Egg ad in a magazine and was 'smitten' by the concept and idea. But hey, wait a minute, where do you get one of these things? And hey, wait an hour, where's the price? How much do these things cost? Well, if you have to ask ..... So I google Big Green Egg, found the BGE site and after some 'interrogation' determined ball park cost and resigned from further pursuit of a BGE (owned a fifty buck Weber at the time, and LOVED THAT!).

Five-eight years pass, the wife (The Egg) and I sign up our son for Scouts, and at our first pack campout lo and behold one of the Scoutmasters has a Big Some of you mention 'SWMBO' etc. but I seem to be having the opposite experience. And so will post my tribute to my 'Egg'!

Green Egg! I've never seen a real one and had forgotten about the ad. Scoutmaster was cooking a brisket on it and since I circled around it for the next day or so gave me the full tour along with 'cook's favors' consisting of nibbles off the brisket, a full beef tenderloin, etc. He was lo and slowing the brisket overnight at 200F and then 'rushed' the tenderloin at 500-600F! I was gut hooked. 

A few months later The Egg (the wife) is hinting around for gift ideas for my birthday, has a 'eureka moment' and next thing I know we're off to the local BGE dealer where they have waiting for me a large BGE with platesetter. Happy Birthday says The Egg (the wife) !

We (The Egg &I) have had the Egg (the BGE) for nine months now. Yesterday I cooked up 'just another pork shoulder' from Costco. She loves this, it's a world beyond what she used to throw into the crock pot and smother in K. C. Masterpiece. And now, while the shoulder's 'resting' in the cooler I throw on stuff like sweet potato 'steaks', ears of corn, various veggies to roast, and even peaches! Most of what I 'know' is thanks to you all and this site! As soon as the Egg (BGE) came home we googled up BGE and 'found' this forum, and it has provided most of the 'training' we needed to use our Egg (BGE) to it's full potential (we still have a ways to go! But it's the journey .....).

I've lucked out. The Egg (the wife) got us an Egg (BGE) and it has become a member of our family much like the dog and sons we've had. And though she's never touched it and I do all the cooking she loves just about everything that comes off it and it's raised our quality of life!  
    The Scoutmaster got you hooked on the BGE?  That does it, I've got to figure out a way to take my LBGE to the opening Pack bonfire and campouts for recruiting.

-Cubmaster KC
  • Awesome story, we are a scouting family too!
  • I was never a scout.  I was in the politically incorrect Indian Guides.
    Flint, Michigan