Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chimney thoughts (pic heavy)

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

So I've read the threads on fire starting.  Tried all except the torch.  Don't need sparks on the wood deck.  Used the chimney with the Weber but not on the BGE.  Threads check indicates more disfavor than favor for the chimney.  So I decided to give it a try on some briskit and Italian sliders.

Two sheets of newspaper in the bottom

Rooting through the lump allowed me to get out the stones, and clean all holes.

Big pieces on the bottom,  little in the chimney.

At 17 minutes way more smoke than briquettes.  Lump isn't the sawdust/binder factory molded and kilned stuff of briquettes.  It's real and imperfect.

I moved the chimney to keep things even because lump under it started up.

This is what I was looking for a direct cook.  Fire all around.

It is by no means quick.  It took this long:

On they go.  We'll see.

All came out great.  One casualty dropped through the grates but was rescued as a snack.

My conclusion.  This is how I'll start for direct when I'm in no hurry.  I'm never in a hurry when I fire up the BGE.

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• WickedIsland
    Options
    Never in a hurry with the BGE... way to be... way to be. Thanks for the post I have been wondering about that starting method
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    Interesting observation this evening.  Wanted ribeyes and used all old lump in the chimney.  Added nothing.  At 12 minutes there was zero smoke. A bit of smoke when spread out on the way to 500, but not much.  Lump may be less than fully processed.  I tomorrow I'll dig out all the "used" lump and save it in a bucket for when I want a really clean, hot, fast burn.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    No need to hurry, just more time to enjoy it!
    On a side note, not all lump sparks and carries on with a map torch, only certain species of wood.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I like how you keep time. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

I reuse old burn.But I find those small (1" or less pcs) don't burn as hot. I think they do not allow for good air flow. I'll use some over the top to get a even heat.

As far as starting,I use a chimney with paper towel and some veggie oil. Or some fire sticks .

Pizzas again tonight. Hope this rain stops. Over 8" in last 24 hours

Happy Eggin'

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI