Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Size of Pork Shoulder

MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to do a shoulder this weekend but I do not want have time to do a large pork shoulder.  Are there any negatives to cooking a small shoulder? Maybe one around 5lbs verses a larger shoulder?

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 12,747
    Other than less pulled pork to inhale-nope. Almost forgot-less adult beverage time monitoring the BGE during the shortened cook-time as well :)
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood.
  • I have never done a small one but the time per pound thing doesn't always apply. It seems to me that I've read where guys have done smaller ones and the take almost as long.
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Do a search for turbo butts. You may have time to do a bigger butt this way.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,463
    I usually cook the shoulders for pulled pork. For me, pieces up to 4 pounds have tended to be a bit dry. Above, they just get better with size.  I've cooked a few as roasts, hotter and quicker, and removed around 165F. Good flavor, but still chewy.
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 4,759
    I smoked a 5.9lb pork shoulder two weeks ago.  No problems whatsoever.  Right around nine hours or so.  Put on at 8am and was ready for dinner.  Plenty of pulled pork for the three of us with tons of leftovers.

Steve :aka: Phish, UnclePhish & PhishBallz
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio