Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gasket...is this how it begins?

OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
First time cooking pizza. I cooked two of them tonight for dinner and this was what my gasket looked like when I was finished. Is this the beginning of the end?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
·

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    Sadly yes it is your egg is doomed and no longer can be used safely . But as a curtesy to a fellow egg head i'll gladly come and pick it up and properly dispose of it safely for you . or you could contact your dealer or the Mothership for a replacement gasket . Mines fried as well(well more like 93% gone) and i have a replacement one just haven't installed it yet 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,679
    If you bought it from an authorized egg dealer, it's FREE!

·
  • OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
    Thanks. I appreciate your generosity but i think I'll try the second option :D
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,018
    That gasket isn't fried yet. My nomex looks dark like that, but has lots of life left. Your stock gasket will fry. It is inevitable. You'll know it's done when smoke comes out of the egg from between the dome and base.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • My gasket looked like that and I just bit the bullet and did a nomex replacement.  Had my first cook on it tonight & worked just fine (minus my thermometer issue).
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,367
    You might want to turn your plate setter over (legs up) it will help to prevent that from happening too.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    Thanks. I appreciate your generosity but i think I'll try the second option :D
    ok if your sure but it's really no trouble at all  B-)
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 194
    My gasket looked like that and I just bit the bullet and did a nomex replacement.  Had my first cook on it tonight & worked just fine (minus my thermometer issue).
    No comment about gaskets, but I love the Barrelman logo!
    ·
  • My gasket looked like that and I just bit the bullet and did a nomex replacement.  Had my first cook on it tonight & worked just fine (minus my thermometer issue).
    No comment about gaskets,
    but I love the Barrelman logo!
    Ha ha, great to hear!  I'm a diehard Brewers fan (suffering through this year) and this is my favorite logo of theirs!
    ·
    bud812 said:

You might want to turn your plate setter over (legs up) it will help to prevent that from happening too.

I actually did have the plate setter legs up...still happened. It's not fried all the way through. I'll continue to watch it. Pizzas turned out pretty good. I'll have to try it again...just afraid the gasket won't make it.
    ·
    The picture is a little deceiving and looks like the plate setter is legs down but it's not.
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    My second gasket is fried and I have some smoke leaking out in a couple of places. Still had no problem maintaining 225 degrees overnight cook. Not planning on replacing it any time soon.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,679
    The picture is a little deceiving and looks like the plate setter is legs down but it's not.
    I was about to call you on that but I looked closer and realized it was legs up.

·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,367
    I guess I had 1 too many grilling fluids when I looked. (burppp) :-\"

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    on its way out for sure! my nomex is fairly blackened, but still softish to the touch. My felt looked like that and disintegrated shortly after it started looking like that

·