Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Best Wood Flavor for Smoking Boston Butt

Wally_Wabash_03Wally_Wabash_03 Posts: 91
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm a relative newbie -- I'm going to be doing the Naked Whiz's slow cook pulled pork tonight.  Any suggestions for what kind of wood to use for the smoke? I have hickory and that would be my default, but I would be interested in any other suggestions -- I'll provide pics and updates throughout.  

Thanks!!

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,389
    i like apple and hickory or cherry , 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • EggbertsdadEggbertsdad Posts: 794
    ^^^^ I like all 3 of those. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,660
    Apple or maple for me.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 9,771
    I go with a mix of apple and cherry-heavier on the cherry.  It will turn out great wth whatever you use. A very forgiving cook.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
  • Better to use too little wood than too much, especially for a low and slow. All of those are good woods, but I find that hickory overwhelms fruit woods when mixed.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 9,771

Better to use too little wood than too much, especially for a low and slow. All of those are good woods, but I find that hickory overwhelms fruit woods when mixed.

Excellent point-I never mix fruit woods with the traditional hard woods.

Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,958
    I am addicted to the jack Daniels chips right now. What I used my last low n slow
    Boom
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    Hickory for me, too!

Tim
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    You can never go wrong with hickory and pork.  However, you have to figure out what YOU like the best. Good luck and as @lousubcap says enjoy the journey.
  • RoobRoob Posts: 9
    Pecan is mellow -  good replacement for hickory.   I go with a mix of Pecan and a fruitwood (apricot at this time). 
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    Pecan is mellow -  good replacement for hickory.   I go with a mix of Pecan and a fruitwood (apricot at this time). 
    A pecan tree is actually a type of hickory tree.

Tim
  • I picked up both apple and cherry. My thought is to go with a mix of the two. Putting the roast on around midnight tonight - pics to come!
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,680
    A pecan tree is actually a type of hickory tree.

Tim
    You're right, but Pecan smoke tastes much milder and sweeter.

• RocEGGRocEGG Posts: 86

I picked up both apple and cherry. My thought is to go with a mix of the two. Putting the roast on around midnight tonight - pics to come!
    Nice! Thats what I usually do for butts. A bit more cherry than apple, but the fruit woods are really mild and complement the pork well. The fruit woods also work great for poultry.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE