Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork Butt

RDMSRDMS Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Pork

I'm now ready to try a pork butt( shoulder) really confused on best way to cook. Thanks to all who have responded so far, has been a great help Just did spatchcock chicken direct with raised grid at 350 was wonderful, was devoured in one day!

Again any and all advice is welcome, you all have been a tremendous help when you are first starting as I am, but getting more confidence and havig fun at this

RDMS

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 4,543
    Welcome aboard!

Stabilize your egg at 275 dome/250 grid. That will get your butt done in 1-1.5 hours a #. Pull at 195-205 internal. You essentially want the probe or fork to slide in like butter. If its done early, wrap in foil & towels, then toss in the cooler until dinner is ready.

What are you seasoning with? Do you have a pit controller or something to monitor food temp...like a maverick et732?

Some use mustard as a binder (can't taste it) to help the rub stick (I don't). Fruit wood is pretty good for butts...cherry, apple, pecan etc.

Butt is a very forgiving and easy cook...you'll do great!!

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 9,002
    I've tried a number of variations, and everyone has their own version, but I've had great luck with keeping it simple:

1. Pull out of fridge.  Trim fat to 1/4" if excessively thick.
    2. Apply seasoning (rub).  Let warm up close to ambient.
    3. Cook with indirect heat around 250 F +/- 30 on stable fire with lump and wood chunks
    4. Pull off at 190-195 F average center temp if you want pulled, 15 F less if sliced
    5. Let rest 30 minutes
    6. enjoy

• MattlockMattlock Posts: 64
    I usually clean the meat in the sink, dry, apply mustard and apply the rub the night before I throw it on the Egg.

You're in luck because even when you don't get everything perfect, pork shoulder\butt is still really good!
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • As others have said, pork butt is very forgiving, and also very tasty.  Great for sandwiches for the next couple of days after the initial dinner is served.

Me?  Here's what i do...

- Apply to dry rub
    - Let sit until it reaches room temperature for a while
    - Smoke on indirect (use plate setter) at 225 degrees until internal reaches 200 degrees
    - wrap in foil and place in a cooler for a few hours
    - pull and enjoy!