Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish sauce........No Thanks

2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

just sayin' 'sounds' revolting doesn't mean it's revolting.

first time you heard about sex i bet it sounded revolting.  

:))
    Yeah, you right.

I actually love fish just apparently not on a burger......I am going to try again tho with half as much fish sauce and hope to not be able to smell it on the finished burgers.

• BTW.....Thanks for the info on the sauce....NOT!!! =)

sure does ''sound" revolting!!

:-O
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    here ya go movikingsfan

tuna steak marinaded in fish sauce with a cilantro lime fish sauce dipping sauce

imageimage
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    yum!  Great, now I'm hungry again and I'm stuck at work.

It just seems to me that the fish sauce would go better on well......fish, but i don't know. I am gonna try it on some burgers again tho. Maybe a different brand and..... just use less and smell it less!!!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    that tuna looks revolting
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    edited July 2012
    just sayin' 'sounds' revolting doesn't mean it's revolting.

first time you heard about sex i bet it sounded revolting.  

This makes me seriously question where you might have been getting your information.  :D
    XL BGE
  • fishlessman
    the cooked grey area is actually ceviche, and your right, ceviche is disgusting
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    What I had ordered was Red Boat Fish Sauce @ 40n
    That's the good stuff. Highly recommend it.
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    and if you eat at Thai restaurants, there's a strong chance you're consuming fish sauce in nearly every dish.
  • nolaegghead
    That's good stuff.  First press, extra virgin.
    yet still unopened.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    and if you eat at Thai restaurants, there's a strong chance you're consuming fish sauce in nearly every dish.
    its the basis fro just about every marinade they have, even the garlic chicken
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @fishlessman    is the trick just not to smell it or get on your hands?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    when you open cryovac pork butt and get that smell you wash it off and cook it, but its still hard to get past that sulfer smell that you get sometimes. same with the fish sauce, smell it and it turns your stomack, get it on your hands working it into the burger and you will smell it on your hands everytime you take a bite. use half whats called in the recipe. with the stirfry shaved steak i think any bad smell gets driven off with the high heat of the wok, might have something to do with how someone cooks a burger, maybe a stronger smell with low and slow burgers or low heat cooked burgers, i dont know
    fukahwee maine

• JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    My understanding is that fish sauce is sort of like MSG or even salt, it's a flavor enhancer, not to be used because it tastes like rotten fish. I'm not a scientist, but it has something to do with how protein molecules bind to flavor agents. That being said, 2 tbls is a helluvalot of fish sauce! I'd recommend trying it again with 1/4 tsp, maybe 1/2 at the most. 

I've used it in very small doses and it does help the flavor.
  • nolaegghead

My understanding is that fish sauce is sort of like MSG or even salt, it's a flavor enhancer, not to be used because it tastes like rotten fish. I'm not a scientist, but it has something to do with how protein molecules bind to flavor agents. That being said, 2 tbls is a helluvalot of fish sauce! I'd recommend trying it again with 1/4 tsp, maybe 1/2 at the most. 

I've used it in very small doses and it does help the flavor.
    You are correct - fish sauce was one of the first foods that helped identify the umami taste.  Glutamate is the amino acid, found in fish sauce, that is what enhances the flavor of the food it's used on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami