Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Home-brewed accessories

hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 104
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Here are some accessories I've made for my large egg.  Charcoal grate started out as a hi-que style but i wanted smaller spacing so fewer pieces would fall through.  My friend who TIG'd them for me set the spacing too wide so i added another set of bars which should accomplish the same thing. 

The spider is obviously a blatent copy but i wanted to make sure it would fit my groupon grillgrates.  Two panels in the spider, three for the main grate.  Just trimmed the corners on my bandsaw.

Grate lifter is a $4 deep dish pizza lifter from a local restaurant supply with an o-ring to act as a spring.

I bent up a wiggle rod, brisket "doneness poker", and some kebab skewers from 304SS rod.

Now to get back to more cooking and less metal bending....

Cedar Park, TX
·

Comments

• FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
    You've got me beat.  I have a wire coat hanger bent to be a wiggle rod (after my fiance tried to buy a wiggle rod and was told the guy stopped making them).  Also have a broken ash tool I use to stir charcoal and poke through the grate to make sure there aren't clogs.
    ·
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 104
    Forgot one more.  Extended rack using a generic 16" grid and four 3/8x5" stainless bolts, fender washers, and hex nuts.  Carriage bolts might have looked cleaner but i couldn't find the right ones locally.

IMG_1913.JPG 152.2K
    Cedar Park, TX
    ·