Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

24 x 24 paver

Options
ChefBubba
ChefBubba Posts: 10
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum

Measuring the bottom of my XL egg, shows a 19 1/2" circle.  The only paver that I can find locally that is 24"x24" has a pebble texture to it.  My other choice would be to build a frame to hold four 12x12 pavers.  Both Lowe's & HD did not have a simple 24x24x2 concrete paver.

Is the pebble texture OK?  Any advice on where else I could look for the concrete paver?

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    As long as it is mostly flat overall (all pebbles roughly at the same height) I would not see a problem with it. It may actually add some air pockets underneath which could be helpful. If the egg is stable and not rocking or anything on it I think it could work.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    I'v been looking for a stone/fire bricks for my table that will go under a LBGE.  Did fine a 24x24 piece at lowes just yesterday.  It was outside, but not with all the rest of the pavers.  It was flat on the top, but the sides were sloped slightly, like slicing the bottom off a 4 sided pyramid.  I need one that is 18x24 and was thinking this may work if I can get it cut.  It could be used for a topper on a stone wall.   
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I ran into the same issue, but the backside of the paver was smooth, so I just put it pebble side down and it works fine.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    bettysnephew, you read my mind!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That lightweight concrete, if you can find it, has a bit of an insulating quality.   Same stuff cinderblocks are made from.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a paver made of that stuff at Lowes.  So I bought a regular high density one.  I think when I put it in I'll put the green things between it and the egg.  Air is a decent insulator.  And I'm gonna try a radiant barrier.  My old one cracked.