Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Breaking in the PartyQ

EggucatedEggucated Posts: 212
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Why i decided to break in the PartyQ today, it's 104 in the shade on my deck and its only noon thirty! However, I decided to do a two- three hour cook before i tackle a butt for the Fourth. So while this may not have been the best choice I'm smoking a sausage fatty for the first time, and using the PartyQ for the first time. I'll add the pictures after the process is completed. Heres hoping it all turns out ok!

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."

Comments

• EggucatedEggucated Posts: 212
    This heat just reminds me of one reason I don't live in Texas anymore!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Sorry but what is a sausage fatty?
  • allitnilsallitnils Posts: 109
    Sorry but what is a sausage fatty?
    +1.
    I've no idea what a sausage fatty is, and I'm afraid to google it.
  • allitnilsallitnils Posts: 109
    Oh good lord. It's worse than I had imagined. :P
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,965
    Reminds me of ancient Japanese Haiku....

Old man seeks doctor
    "Eat sausage fatties daily"
    Angioplasty

:))

edited July 2012
    Reminds me of ancient Japanese Haiku....

Old man seeks doctor
    "Eat sausage fatties daily"
    Angioplasty

:))
    That's great!  Very funny, but a little too true!

It's just one of those things I had to try.  It was pretty tasty, all things in moderation!  It may be something I do again for Poker night, or parties it definitely isn't on the regular menu!  I'll post the pics and results after lunch today.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,006
    Definitely not one of those things you can eat regularly. So what did you stuff it with? Now I'm thinking I might make a couple for the Fourth.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

edited July 2012
    I didn't feel like making a trip to the grocery store, so I used what we had.  Chipotle's, Onions, Monterey Jack cheese, and some minced garlic.  I was going to add some cilantro and tomato but neither were exactly fresh enough.

I need to plan a better Tex Mex version for next time.  I'm thinking Panela (crumbling Mexican White Cheese), Pico de gallo, diced green chilis, and some cooked crispy bacon crumbles.  Instead of using Bad Byron's Butt rub, I'll use Taco Seasoning.

Has anyone substituted ground beef for the sausage?  With the tex-mex version I think ground beef may work better.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,006
    I have not, but have heard of it being done. Bet your tex-mex version would taste great with Dizzy Pig's new Fajita-ish seasoning.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

edited July 2012
    OK, Here are the promised pics...

Started with a Bacon Weave!  Then applied Bad Byron's Butt Rub to the bacon weave.

Next using a ziplock bag and rolling pin flattened the sausage into a square

Adding stuffing ingredients (Onion, Garlic, Chipotle, cheese, etc)

Roll the sausage, then place on the bacon weave, and roll that on top of the sausage.  Next apply a thin coat of BBQ Sauce, and smoke 2-3 hours.

and when it's done...